POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : New editor : Re: New editor Server Time
28 Jul 2024 22:24:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: New editor
From: K  Tyler
Date: 30 Aug 1998 16:30:54
Message: <35E9A7F9.5C9D3914@pacbell.net>
Philippe Debar wrote:

> SUGGESTIONS
One addition from me. Return start/stop rendering option
to right click menu.

> * ability to select and copy text in message window

agreed

**Also allow arrow key scrolling in main message window

>   redo - ctrl+y

Leave ctrl+y alone It's fine the way it is.

> * toolbars are a bit too big. I would redesign them this
>   way if I could: move two help buttons to the 'main'
>   toolbar, remove the CD's and web sites buttons (but keep the
>   corresponding commands in the Help menu) and remove the
>   pretty but totally useless render animation.

I agree.

BUT I suspect that the pov team has their own agenda
for having them where they are. The cost of maintaining the
POV-Ray home page and running their own news server is
expensive. I suspect they are trying make it easier for people
to access and remember the locations of products and companies
that help with financial support for these wonderful privileges
and if that's the case I for one can live with it.

> * does anybody use the 'overwrite' mode? What is it useful
>   for? If nobody use this, I would gladly see it disappear,
>   as I am always confused whenever I turn it on - always
>   by accident.

Yes I use it and please leave it alone

> * move 'older files' at the end of the file list

No ! No! No ! Leave it alone. I keep several .inc files open at all times
which allows easy cut and paste of common statements.
I don't want them moving all over the place. I like them stationary
and left were and in what order I put them.

> * a better and clearer structure for the help

Yep !
Which is to say I really liked the help system in
POV-Ray 3.0x and the new help system is confusing
and difficult to navigate. If I have to RTFM I need to
find the information so I don't have to ask stupid questions.
If anything return to a single scrollable help file instead
of a page to page style in use now.

> Sincerely,
> Philippe

K.Tyler